(EDI Entry Level 1 -3 and EDI Level 1-2)
Duration: From 1 week to 25 weeks (16 hours per week)
ESOL International qualifications are intended for candidates who are not native speakers of English and who wish to achieve a high quality, internationally recognised qualification in English that is available and recognised world-wide.
The aims of this syllabus are to enable candidates to develop the ability to
• develop knowledge and understanding of the spoken and written forms of English in meaningful contexts;
• develop the ability to listen and read for gist and detail and apply this knowledge and understanding to speaking and writing;
• develop the ability to communicate effectively in English through the written and spoken word;
• develop knowledge and understanding of the grammar of English, and the ability to apply it accurately in the appropriate context;
• lay a suitable foundation for the further study of the language.
Levels: Elementary/ Beginner /Pre Intermediate/ Intermediate/ Upper Intermediate/ Advanced
Structure of the qualification:
This qualification has three mandatory parts. EDI Entry 1 Certificate in ESOL International (CEF A1) will be awarded to candidates who successfully complete the learning outcomes and assessments for the following parts:
Reading | Writing | Listening | Speaking
Each level of ESOL International is a free-standing qualification and is separately certificated. The qualifications EDI Certificate in ESOL International Entry Levels 1-3 and Levels 1 & 2 have been closely aligned to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF) at levels A1, A2, B1, B2 and C1 respectively. Each level builds on the previous one and provides a consistent extension to the levels of skill and knowledge developed at the previous level.
The qualifications are recognized by a wide range of higher education institutions and employers across the world.